Since 2015, the Focus system has seen quite a few changes from its initial implementation! Initially growing out of a pivotal story moment after the completion of the Second Dream Quest, it allows the player to further enhance their playstyle, giving them a set of Abilities and Passives related to one of five Focus Schools: Naramon, Zenurik, Unairu, Vazarin, and Madurai.
Upon completing the Quest, the player will be able to choose one of the Focus Schools to unlock for free. All other Focus Schools can be unlocked eventually, though only one can be set as Primary (active) at a time.
Following our most recent Focus Rework, this guide will reflect those changes in the hope to show the new system. These changes came in three major ways:
- The introduction of Void Sling;
- Reduction of jank caused by latency issues related to the host;
- Removal of Void Blast to allow Melee inputs to cause automatic Transference from Operator to Warframe.
Once the Focus School has been decided after “The Second Dream”, the player will receive a matching Focus Lens. The Lens can be installed on specific equipment such as:
- Maxed Warframes, Weapons, Archwings, Arch-guns, Arch-melees, Necramechs, K-Drives
- Gilded Amps
Affinity gained by the maxed item is converted to Focus Points, which can be used to unlock and upgrade Abilities in specific Schools.
Focus Lenses can also be earned as mission rewards, or purchased on the in-game Market.
There are different types of Lens that can be earned:
- Greater Lens
- Eidolon Lens
- Lua Lens
You can equip those on the aforementioned equipment by going to your Arsenal, then selecting Actions.
Whenever the player has a Focus Lens equipped and has not reached the Daily Cap, a Convergence Orb has a chance to spawn during the mission. Convergence Orbs will greatly increase the amount of Focus Points gained for 45 seconds upon being picked up.
Eidolon Shards are rewarded upon capturing an Eidolon Gantulyst or Eidolon Hydrolyst (Brilliant Eidolon Shard, Radiant Eidolon Shard respectively) or as a reward in Onslaught (Synthetic Eidolon Shard) can be converted into Focus Points for any unlocked Focus School.
Operator Abilities and Focus
Abilities were greatly reworked; the flow of combat between your Warframe and Operator will be more seamless than ever, thanks to a combination of technical improvements and design changes. Passive Energy Drain options have been removed in favor of activated Abilities that you can use in Operator form, depending on your focus school.
The most noticeable change is the reworked Void Sling ability, previously known as Void Dash. You can use this ability to travel long distances out of sight from enemies, quickly giving you a tactical advantage in a fight, or helping you stay stealthy in Spy missions!
Once Focus Points have been assigned, they cannot be refunded or transferred.
- Void Blast no longer exists and Operator melee attack will now instantly Transfer to your Warframe and perform a Melee attack.
- Void Beam - The operator’s primary mode of attack, fires a continuous beam of Void energy from the right hand. Void Beam can be improved and altered by Focus Abilities, Arcanes, and Amps.
- Void Mode - This allows the Operator to become invisible and invulnerable to damage.
The initial form of Focus unlocked after The Second Dream Quest is Transcendence.
The secondary form of Focus unlocked after The War Within Quest is Transference.
Contrary to Transcendence, Transference can be used at any time to switch between the Operator and the Warframe.
Transference allows the player to gain full control over the Operator while being enhanced by new Abilities, Amps, and Arcanes.
Focus School Abilities
Focus Schools are meant to represent different Tenno perspectives and approaches to problems, so each School should feel unique!
Every Focus School grants access to a unique skill tree comprising of several Abilities known as Ways, the Ways are split into three distinct groups defined by their behavior:
- Active - There are two active Abilities per tree that can be cast, similar to the Warframes.
- Passive - Passive Ways provide bonuses to the Operator and Warframe or their abilities, like increased movement speed or an area that generates Energy after Void Dashing.
- Way-bound Passive - Way-bound Passive Ways are abilities that can be Unbound and used with different Focus Schools upon being maxed out. Unbinding requires a Brilliant Eidolon Shard and a large amount of Focus points.
- Once Focus Points have been assigned, they cannot be refunded or transferred.
- Unlocking all the nodes of a Focus School will allow you to Represent a given school. Rep your School with all new cosmetics (purchased with Focus points) via the Represent button on the respective Focus screen (Madurai, Vazarin, etc).
The Madurai way follows the path of Engage the Enemy. Speed and savagery characterized the Madurai school.
Madurai’s abilities focus on granting that offensive edge in combat with a combination of Damage increases, weapon efficiency, and Speed enhancements to recklessly attack your foes.
The Unairu push themselves to Outlast The Enemy. Those who mastered the Unairu school are granted enhanced damage resistance and damage reflection.
Unairu’s main pillar aims to make Unairu a proper tank Focus School with increased Armor, and opportunities for increased immunity and survivability.
The Zenurik believed the clearest path to victory was to Dominate the Enemy. Those who master the Zenurik school believe that sheer strength could erase any resistance.
This school is oriented toward spellcasting and tactical advantage, with attention to controlling the battlefield.
The Naramon discipline focuses on Knowing The Enemy. They believed that to truly understand a foe would confer the greatest advantage upon a warrior.
True to its focus on the art of assault, Naramon continues to heavily lean towards a Melee support role with speed and distance enhancements.
The Vazarin are trained to Counter The Enemy. Those who mastered the Vazarin school maintain constant awareness in order to defend against all aggression.
This Focus School aims to now be a proper support School in both life and death.