Warframe offers in-game chat on your ship as well as during missions.
Chatting on your ship
When you log into Warframe and press ESC, you will see the Social Menu icons at the bottom of your screen.
Clicking one of the five icons will expand the according chat while the button all to the right will expand the chat in general.
On top of the window, you can see the tabs for the different available chat rooms. Not all of these might be available to you right away.
- Region: Here you can chat with any active player from the region you are playing in.
- Clan: If you are a member of a clan, this tab will become available to you. Here you can talk to the active members of your clan. -Note: Clan channels are not moderated, contact your clans Warlord for any chat abuse issues.
- Council: If you are a member of the Design Council (ie Master or Grand Master Founder), you will have access to the in-game council chat.
- Recruiting: Here you can find other players that are looking for a squad to play certain missions. No matter if you want to join a session in the Void or just find other players to help you beat a certain mission, this is where you find them.
- Trading: This is used to offer items you want to sell or hunt for items you need and want to purchase.
On the right side of the chat window you can see the list of active players in the channel. The left side shows the message history and the bar on the bottom is used to type your messages.
Right-clicking on one of the user names in the right list opens a context menu where you can choose to ignore another player, whisper to them or add them as a friend.
Typing "/?" in any chat window shows you the available commands which you can use:
- "/g your message": Switch to global chat and post message
- "/c your message": Switch to clan chat and post your message (if your are a member of a clan)
- "/s your message": Switch to squat chat and post your message (if you are currently in a squad)
- "/d your message": Switch to council chat and post your message (if you have council access)
- "/w username your message": Send a private message to user
- "/i username": Toggle ignore user
- "/r your message": Reply to the last private message you received
- "/t": Switch active tab
- "/friend add username": Add user as a friend
- "/friend remove username": Remove user as a friend
- "/motd your message": Set your clan's message of the day (if you are a member of a clan and have the necessary permissions)
- "/invite username": Invite user to your current session
If you press ESC and then click on "Options" it will open the options menu.
Here you can go to the tab "Chat" to enable/disable the different chats, activate/deactivate the profanity filter and more.
Chatting during a Mission
You also can use the chat while you are in-game running a mission. Pressing "T" will open the chat window.
It will be displayed as a see-through window on the lower left side of your screen. After pressing "T" you can type your message and confirm by pressing "enter". While the text box is active you can not move your Warframe. Pressing the enter key returns control of your Warframe to you.
You can use the chat commands on the your ship as well as during a mission.